Monday, July 5, 2010

Relaxing Weekend



I just got back from Fripp Island, SC. We spent Friday through Monday there with my wife's sister and her family. This was a great vacation and I was really able to relax the whole time I was there. The island was very laid back with plenty of things to do to keep the kids busy. The picture above was what we got to see every evening from the place we were staying in.

Friday I took the day off from any exercise and enjoyed a morning at the beach and a nice long nap with the boys followed by an afternoon at the pool. Saturday I went for about a 7 mile push run on the island. This was fun and very flat. There isn't much you can do about that being on the coast like that but I still managed to keep my heart rate up and really enjoy the wildlife. There were a lot of deer that weren't afraid of people and that was really nice. The one below was right outside our pad one evening. I managed to get a nap on Saturday as well. Very uncommon but a plus for taper week.



Sunday we headed to the golf cart parade that was pretty nice. The kids loved it and the folks were pretty clever with their designs. Here you can see the crowd anxiously awaiting the first golf cart float and the start of the parade.



After the parade I stayed back with Cedar while he slept and managed to get 30 minutes in on my trainer before he woke up. I took him to the pool and hung out with the family for a while and then we all went back to the house. While everyone napped I finished off my 42 miler that I had started on the trainer earlier. I had a nice fast ride west with the wind and really worked on the way back against the wind. It was a pretty good work out. I obviously didn't have the hills I usually try to hit on my long ride but it was very peaceful and I enjoyed it.

That night we had a nice meal and watched some good fireworks put on by the island. This was a great time spent with the family and relaxing as well as getting in my workouts for the weekend. I ended up taking today off and I will start my week tomorrow. It will be a short week since my race is on Sunday. Hard to believe it is already here. I am excited, nervous, and ready for the race. Push on!

No comments:

Post a Comment